Friday, August 27, 2010

Transition


Just landed in Auckland, NZ.  Ran into Daniel Morris and his friend – the dirt bike riders from Melbourne.  They are very nice but I still feel uncomfortable engaging in prolonged conversations with strangers.  Hopefully I’ll learn to let people in but right now I’m much more comfortable with quick passing short meaningless conversations.  Unfortunately, I was more comfortable with these types of conversations in my life in Denver as well.  Is it that I lack depth or that I’m afraid that people will see that I’m not smart?  This is something that must be overcome is I ever plan to share truth and meaning with the world. 
The accent here is incredible.  People speak quickly and use slang terms I’ve never heard before.  On the flight from LA to Auckland, I sat next to a very kind thirty-year-old writer/golfer.  His adventures were inspiring.  He would give everything he had to live in New York City.  Funny how I gave everything I had to live in Australia.  He suggested we swap lives and passports in order to live out our dreams.  He would have to pass as a woman and I would have to grow out some facial hair. 
The airport in Auckland is very quiet.  Most likely it has something to do with the early hour of 6:15am.  Two hours different than Sydney.  Perhaps someday Bonnie and I will have a chance to explore New Zealand together.  I can just picture us riding the train, sleeping in hostels.  The boys I’ve met recommend against backpacking and hitchhiking.  They said the wrong kind of people would pick you up and take you to a place you don’t want to be. 
Air New Zealand is an extraordinary airline.  The staff wears grey business suits and is incredibly friendly.  I’ve only packed a few long-sleeve clothes and it is very cold here.  The entire country is just coming out of winter. 
To do list:
1.     Learn Celsius
2.     Learn the states in Australia
3.     Learn the metric system. 
Time to board.  

1 comment:

  1. hi Gwenn,
    here is how I learned Celcius...
    30 is hot,
    20 is nice,
    10 is cold
    and 0 is ice.

    ReplyDelete